With winter temperatures sneaking up, you may find yourself tempted to break out the logs and spend some time cozied up by the fireplace. While doing so certainly can keep you warm and add ambiance to your home, it can be dangerous if you don’t take the proper precautions.
Follow these fire safety tips to ensure a fun fireside experience:
- Have your chimney cleaned and inspected every year.
- Make sure the flue and glass doors are open when the fire is lit.
- Use a metal mesh screen when doors are open to keep embers inside the fireplace.
- Keep debris and household items away from the fireplace opening while the fire is burning.
- Never use gasoline or lighter fluid to start a fire.
- Only use proper fire logs as kindling.
- Never leave a fire unattended.
- Never leave a child or pets unattended around the fireplace.