Q: What happens when the other driver leaves the scene of a New York accident?

Q: What happens when the other driver leaves the scene of a New York accident?

A: Fortunately, New York has established a fund known as the Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation (MVAIC), which provides insurance for motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians that have been injured by hit and run drivers. There are some limitations to the MVAIC and the process of recovering money from the fund may take you several years.

MVAIC limits the compensation to hit-and-run victims to a maximum of $25,000 (per person, per accident), which means that if your medial bills exceed $25,000, you will be stuck with the rest of your bills. Recovering money from the MVAIC will also cost you time and money. There may be legal fees and other considerations involved in the recovery process.

To recover money from the MVAIC, you must be a qualified person who is a resident of New York, “or a resident of another state or country having a substantially similar program available to New York residents injured in that state or country.” On the MVAIC website, a qualified person is said to be someone other than (1) an insured or (2) the owner of an uninsured motor vehicle and his/her spouse when a passenger in such vehicle.

To claim compensation from the MVAIC, you must notify them of your intention to make an injury claim.

If you do discover the identity of the other driver, you can then seek damages from their insurance company. There may also be other compensation available for you, such as through your own uninsured motorist coverage.

If you question whether you are eligible to recover money from the MVAIC or any other source after a hit and run accident in New York, you can get advice from a New York personal injury lawyer.

Contacting a New York Personal Injury Lawyer

At Gacovino Lake & Associates we have formed a dedicated network of personal injury lawyers that serve clients nationwide. Our New York office serves residents of the 5 boroughs with their auto accident, medical malpractice, defective drug, premises liability and Workers’ Compensation claims. For experienced help with your personal injury claim, contact us today – 1-800-246-4878.

Related Posts