Accident Due to Truck Driver Sleeping
Q: I was injured in a truck accident in New York that was caused by a driver who fell asleep at the wheel. Are there limits on how many hours a truck driver can drive each day?
A: Yes, there are limits on how many hours a truck driver can drive each day. If you have been injured in a truck accident in New York that was caused by a driver who fell asleep at the wheel or whose reaction times were slowed because of exhaustion, you may be eligible to file a claim against not only the truck driver but possibly the trucking company, as well.
Hours of Service Regulations for Truck Drivers
Truck drivers and their employers must follow hours of service regulations that are designed to keep the roads safe. Since fatigue commonly causes truck accidents, it is imperative that these regulations are followed. When they are not, it could result in severe injury and a subsequent claim against the truck driver and trucking company.
The hours of service regulations for New York truck drivers carrying property are as follows:
• maximum of 11 hours driving after 10 consecutive hours off duty;
• can’t drive beyond the 14th consecutive hour after coming on duty, following 10 consecutive hours off duty (off-duty time doesn’t extend the 14 hour period); and
• can’t drive after 60/70 hours on duty in 7/8 consecutive days (driver may restart 7/8 consecutive day period after taking 34 or more consecutive hours off duty).
The hours of service regulations for New York truck drivers carrying passengers are as follows:
• maximum of 10 hours driving after 8 consecutive hours off duty;
• can’t drive after having been on duty for 15 hours, following 8 consecutive hours off duty (off duty time is not included in 15 hour period); and
• can’t drive after 60/70 hours on duty in 7/8 consecutive days.
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident in New York, you’ll want to consult with a New York truck accident lawyer. A New York truck accident lawyer can assess the circumstances surrounding your accident to determine liability and if you are indeed eligible to file a claim. If you decide to seek compensation through a personal injury claim, your New York truck accident lawyer can build a case on your behalf while you focus on recovery.
Contacting a New York Truck Accident Lawyer
When you have sustained a serious injury or lost a loved one because of a truck accident in New York you are entitled to seek compensation for your damages and suffering. Consulting with a New York truck accident lawyer can help you better understand your rights, determine liability for your injuries and decide if filing a truck accident claim is right for you.
At Gacovino Lake & Associates we have formed a dedicated network of attorneys that serve clients nationwide. Our New York office serves residents of the 5 boroughs with their auto accident, medical malpractice, dangerous prescription drug, premises liability and Workers’ Compensation claims. For experienced help with your truck accident claim, contact us today – 1-800-246-4878.