Having the kids outside during the summer can give them exercise and fun with their friends but it also exposes them to some safety hazards. Make sure you teach them these guidelines before they venture outdoors.
- look in both directions and listen for any oncoming traffic before crossing the street;
- only walk on proper and well-maintained sidewalks or paths;
- hold hands in busy areas or parking lots;
- never run into the street for a ball or toy;
- never walk outside after dark;
- look out for cars backing out of or turning into driveways;
- never walk behind a school bus or large truck; and
- never cross the street without an adult, if under the age of 10.