In the age-old debate “what came first, the Salmonella or the egg?”, it seems as though the answer is: the egg. A three year-old Texas boy and his family are suing an egg producer after they traced his Salmonella enteritidis to their product. He began suffering from a high fever, abdominal cramps, vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea just two days after eating a cake that had been made with the contaminated eggs.
He was hospitalized for one week where he made a full recovery, with the exception of some hip pain. The contaminated eggs were supplied by Wright County Egg, which has recalled roughly 380 million eggs.
When the FDA became involved, a search of the facilities found piles of manure, maggots, flies, and rodent holes. Not only that, but samples from the facilities also tested positive for the same Salmonella enteritidis the three year old Texas boy had contracted.
It has been reported that about 1,900 people were sickened by this Salmonella outbreak. The three year-old boy from Texas accumulated a $15,000 total of past medical expenses, and his family settled with Wright County Egg for $250,000, including the purchase of an annuity of $100,000 which will yield periodic payments to the boy once he becomes 18 years of age. It has been reported that Wright County Egg has settled with many other consumers as a result of this Salmonella outbreak.