It’s common to be embarrassed after a slip and fall accident in a store or other public area, but don’t let that stop you from documenting the incident. Evidence of your slip and fall accident and the injuries you sustained are important parts of filing a premises liability claim to be compensated for your damages.
You should collect the following evidence while at the scene and after you have sought medical attention for your injuries:
- photographs of the area where you fell;
- witness statements or contact information;
- the police report, if one was filed;
- a store incident report, if you are able to request one; and
- surveillance video footage of the accident.
You will also want to keep your own records of medical care, bills related to your accident, lost wage reports due to your injuries, and even a pain diary detailing how the injuries have impacted your daily life. All of these types of evidence can be critical to pursuing a full settlement in a premises liability claim.