You might take it for granted that the medical care you receive is good. However every patient should be aware of the very real potential to become the victim of medical negligence.
Here are five tips that could help you avoid becoming the victim of medical malpractice:
- Seek a second opinion – this is especially important if you have been diagnosed with a serious medical condition or you will require surgery.
- Ask questions – don’t just take your doctor’s word for it. Ask questions about medications you are prescribed or surgical procedures being recommended (risks, benefits, alternatives, etc.).
- Share medical information – don’t withhold any of your medical history, as it could end up jeopardizing your health.
- Follow instructions – take medication as instructed, and follow pre-surgery directions; however, always talk to your doctor if you have questions or concerns with the instructions given.
- Recruit an advocate – a friend or family member can help ask questions you might not think of and provide general support.
Although you might take the necessary steps to protect yourself, there is no guarantee that you won’t suffer injury or harm at the hands of a healthcare provider. If this happens, you may have the right to be compensated.
Contacting a New York Medical Malpractice Lawyer
At Gacovino Lake & Associates we have formed a dedicated network of medical malpractice attorneys that serve clients nationwide. Our New York office serves residents of the 5 boroughs with their auto accident, medical malpractice, defective drug, premises liability, and workers’ compensation claims. For experienced help with your medical malpractice claim, contact us today at 800-246-4878.