Will you be traveling this holiday season? If doing so in rain, snow or sleet, follow these tips for safe winter driving:
- Decrease speed and leave plenty of room between you and the car in front of you.
- Brake gently and slowly to avoid sliding or skidding.
- Get your car tuned up before the winter season and switch your tires to snow tires if needed in your area.
- Try not to pass snow plows on the road, as they have limited visibility.
- Use extra caution on bridges or overpasses that may freeze before the rest of the road.
- Monitor the weather report before you venture out on a long trip.
- Let someone know where you are going and when you plan to return if you are going out alone in bad weather.
- Keep an emergency kit in your car including a charged cell phone, snacks, water, blankets, warming pads, an ice scraper and other necessities.
- Keep your eyes, ears and hands focused on driving. Distracted driving is dangerous any time of the year, but especially in wet or icy conditions.
- Invest in a roadside assistance plan such as AAA in case of an emergency where you can’t reach a friend or family member for help.
Don’t neglect winter safety tips this holiday season. Make sure you get there safely to celebrate with family and friends this holiday season.