Possible Ban on Sale of Tiny Magnetic Ball Sets

Tiny magnetic balls may cause injury when swallowed and may require medical treatment. As reported by Consumer Reports, a recent study has found that hundreds of teenagers and children have required treatment over the past two years related to swallowing these tiny magnets. 

Made of a rare-earth mineral called neodymium, these magnets are stronger than typical magnets, and their attraction to one another inside the body may cause internal injury if more than one is swallowed. According to the report, 80 percent of the cases looked at from 2008 to 2012 required an endoscopy or surgery. 

CPSC has proposed a ban on magnetic balls. The North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition and the American Academy of Pediatrics strongly support the ban. 

Grounds for Filing a Dangerous Product Claim 

Key to a dangerous product claim is proving that a product is defective. This can happen during the design, manufacturing or marketing phases. To have grounds for filing a claim, you also will need to prove that the defect in the product caused injury. And it must have been significant enough that you are entitled to seek damages for medical expenses and other losses, such as pain and suffering or mental anguish. 

Liability could be with the manufacturer, engineer, seller or distributor, depending on the product and its defect. There are some situations in which more than one party may be liable, so discuss the circumstances of your case with an attorney familiar with these claims. 

Contacting a Dangerous Product Attorney in New York 

Whether this or another type of product caused you or a loved one to suffer physical harm, contact a dangerous product attorney at Gacovino, Lake & Associates. We can determine if you have a viable claim worth pursuing. Call us at 1-800-246-4878.

Related Posts