Generically known as gabapentin, Neurontin is an oral medication prescribed in the treatment of seizures and nerve pain. Neurotin is produced by Pfizer and was first approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1994. Available in the form of a tablet or oral solution, Neurontin has also been prescribed to treat:
- Bipolar disorder
- Intense menopause hot flashes
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Restless leg syndrome
- Social anxiety disorder
- Withdrawal symptoms of methamphetamine, cocaine and alcohol addictions.
- Withdrawal symptoms of opiates
Neurontin Side Effects
In most cases, patients will experience mild, if any, Neurontin side effects, including dizziness, drowsiness and inflammation of the extremities. In more rare cases, Neurontin patients may develop serious, life-threatening Neurontin side effects, which may include:
- Adenocarcinoma, cancer affecting the glands
- Hepatotoxicity, liver damage that can be fatal without a liver transplant and discontinued use of Neurontin (In fact, hepatotoxicty is the most common reason for a drug recall when the medication in question causes serious liver damage.)
- Pancreatic tumors
Should Neurontin patients begin to develop any of the following side effects, it’s vital that they seek emergency medical care to prevent fatal complications. Symptoms of Neurontin side effects may include any combination of:
- Body aches
- Easy bruising
- Flu-like symptoms
- Inflammation of the ankles and/or feet
- Persistent seizures
- Rapid eye movements
Neurontin can have such strong physical effects that it has the potential to create symptoms of withdrawal in patients who have taken this drug. Neurontin withdrawal symptoms may include (but aren’t limited to):
- Agitation and/or restlessness
- Anxiety attacks
- Blurry vision
- Cramping and/or muscle spasms
- Flu-like symptoms
- Mood swings
- Panic attacks
- Post traumatic stress disorder
To minimize the risk and intensity of these Neurontin withdrawal symptoms, patients should take progressively decreasing doses of the medication in the final days of taking it.
If you or a loved one has been injured after taking Neurontin (or you have lost a loved one to Neurontin side effects), you will most likely have a legal claim against Pfizer, and will be entitled to compensation for losses that may include medical bills, lost wages, permanent disabilities, and pain and suffering. Prospective plaintiffs can learn more about their legal rights and get an expert evaluation of their claim by consulting with one of our experienced defective drug attorneys.
At Gacovino, Lake and Associates, we have the skills, the knowledge and the commitment to making sure that our clients obtain the full amount of compensation they are entitled to. To schedule a consultation with an attorney who is dedicated to fighting for the injured, contact our law offices today.