According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), every year fire departments respond to about 210 building fires as a result of Christmas trees. You can avoid not only property damage but serious injuries by following some important safety tips.
Tips for Christmas Tree Safety
Here are some safety tips that can reduce the risk of injury from a Christmas tree:
- if your tree is artificial, verify that it’s fire retardant;
- if you’re choosing a fresh tree, make sure the needles are green and don’t fall off when touched;
- keep trees away from heat sources (heat vents, lights, candles, radiators, fireplaces);
- fresh trees should be watered daily;
- be sure to use lights that are for indoor use only;
- check the strands of your lights for any worn or frayed cords;
- when the needles on a fresh tree begin to drop, remove it from your home; and
- turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving the house or going to bed.
In the midst of decorating your Christmas tree, keep these tips in mind to help make the holidays safe for you and your family. If you were seriously injured by a defective product or as a result of someone else’s negligence, you should speak to a personal injury attorney in Manhattan to learn if you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries.
Contacting a Personal Injury Attorney in Manhattan
When you have sustained a serious injury or lost a loved because of a defective product you are entitled to seek compensation for your damages and suffering. Consulting with a Manhattan personal injury attorney can help you better understand your rights, determine liability for your injuries, and decide if filing a personal injury claim is right for you. At Gacovino Lake & Associates we have formed a dedicated network of personal injury attorneys that serve clients nationwide. Our New York office serves residents of the 5 boroughs with their auto accident, medical malpractice, defective drug, premises liability, and Workers’ Compensation claims. For experienced help with your personal injury claim, contact us today– 1-800-246-4878.