According to the National Floor Safety Institute, slip and fall accidents account from more than 1 million emergency room visits annually in the U.S. But many of these incidents are preventable – either by the property owner or the victims themselves.
Tips to Prevent Slips and Falls
To help ensure they don’t suffer a painful slip and fall, individuals should follow these tips:
- Wear proper footwear. Shoes should fit well, be comfortable and have proper tread on the bottom.
- Pay attention when walking. Texting, talking on the phone and eating all can pose distractions.
- Always use handrails when going up or down stairwells, escalators and other inclines.
- Carry objects in a way that allows visibility of the feet and the path ahead.
- Use a flashlight when entering areas with low light.
- Walk slowly. Take small steps and avoid taking turns too quickly.
- Avoid walking in adverse weather conditions, such as ice, rain or sleet.
- Keep hands at the sides and avoid putting them in pockets. This can throw off balance.
- Make sure clothing doesn’t obstruct vision. Hoods, hats and scarves can cause visibility issues and lead to a fall.
- If slippery conditions are present, bend the knees and take slow, deliberate steps from toe to heel.
- Avoid carrying heavy loads or awkwardly shaped objects.
- Always use shoulder straps on purses, bags and backpacks (if available). This can help with balance.
Though slip and fall accidents are always possible, following these tips can help reduce the chance of them happening and help keep individuals safe on sidewalks, roads, and in both private and public areas.
Help with Slip and Fall Accidents
Anyone who has been hurt in a slip and fall accident could have grounds for a legal claim under premises liability. Victims in the New York area should call 800-246-HURT (4878) tospeak to an attorney at Gacovino Lake & Associates today.