High-Powered Magnets Are A Threat To Children

Magnets. Usually they can be found on a kitchen refrigerator. But the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is warning that high-powered magnets are a serious risk to children.

In fact, they are so strong, that teens are using them as fake piercings on their noses and tongues. But it isn’t only the teens that abuse these magnets: curious infants and toddlers love to play with magnets, and, as most babies do, they put them in their mouth.

The CPSC has received 22 reports of magnet incidents involving children ages 18 months to 15 years old, since June of 2009. Half of these incidents resulted in removal by surgery, which is usually accompanied with repairing the damaged stomach or intestines.

When inside the body, these magnets can connect inside the body, perforating the body part they attach to. They can also result in small holes in the stomach and intestines, intestinal blockage, blood poisoning, and even death. If you don’t believe me, watch this video, to see how real this injury may become.

The prevalence of these incidents is increasing every year: one incident in 2009, seven in 2010, and 14 through October 2011.

“We want parents to be aware of the danger associated with these innocent looking magnets,” said CPSC Chairman Inez Tennenbaum. “The potential for serious injury and death if multiple magnets are swallowed demands that parents and medical professionals be aware of this hidden hazard and know how to treat a child in distress.”

To ensure that your child does not swallow a magnet, make sure to keep small magnets and small pieces containing magnets away from young children who might swallow them. Inspect your child’s play area regularly for missing or dislodged magnets.

Stop by our website for more information, or contact one of our attorneys at 1-800-246-HURT (4878).

Related Posts