The loss of a loved one is a traumatic and life-changing event. Many people suffer depression, feelings of isolation and overwhelming sadness when someone that they love dies. Enduring these emotions and helping your family through a significant loss can be more than one person can manage alone. Fortunately, there are many services and organizations that offer help so that no one has to suffer in solitude.
There are many resources available to you and/or your family members, such as grief counseling and other mental health services. Following are some examples of the types of help you can find in New York to guide you through this difficult time.
Grief Counseling and Therapy Services
- Individual grief counseling sessions: Private, one-on-one sessions with a trained grief therapist can be invaluable to someone who is coping with the loss of a loved one. Many times, individuals find themselves able to talk openly in a private setting with a trusted professional who can help guide the griever through important steps to regain some normalcy and joy.
- Appointments for individual counseling sessions are scheduled in advance, and can occur weekly, bi-weekly or more frequently depending on the needs of the individual.
- Grief support groups: Such groups involve the gathering of individuals who are in similar circumstances. It can be validating and helpful for people enduring the loss of a loved one to share with others who understand and share similar experiences. Support groups are led by trained and certified grief therapists, and daily coping skills are taught to the group in session that typically occur weekly.
There are many such grief counseling services located throughout New York, including the Center for Bereavement and Center for Loss & Renewal: Bereavement Counseling in New York City. These are just a couple of the options available, so research centers in your area that may be appropriate.
Specialty Grief Counseling
Within the realm of grief counseling services and therapeutic support for individuals and families in mourning, there are areas of specialty that focus on a particular type of loss and may help you understand some of the unique feelings you are having.
- Counseling for children: Services are available in both the individual and group settings specifically for children who have lost a parent, sibling or other important figure in their lives. Because children who have endured a significant loss at a young age have their own set of unique needs and challenges, it is important to consider seeking this type of counseling service for your child if he or she is suffering from the loss of a loved one.
- Counseling for the loss of a “young” spouse: While older individuals grieve the loss of their spouse too, there is a specific experience involved in losing a husband or wife in the prime of your life. Services are available in group and individual settings for individuals to learn coping skills and begin the process of facing daily life in a new way.
- Counseling for the adult loss of a parent: Adults, though they are not affected in the same way as a child would be by the loss of a parent, are still confronted with many questions and emotions that can be overwhelming and difficult to sort out. Group and individual grief counseling sessions can help you work through some of the feelings that may be weighing on you.
These are only some of the options available to help you and your family through a time of grief, and it is important that you find the solution that will serve your needs in the best way. If you are unsure of where to turn for help, speak with your family physician for some recommendations or ask a trusted friend or family member if they have a referral. Just remember that you don’t have to endure the pain alone. There are people available to help you and your family in this difficult time.
If you have legal questions regarding your options or rights after the wrongful death of a loved one and need to speak to an attorney, Gacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C. in New York can help. Call us today at (800) 550-0000.