Teen drivers may be at greater risk of an accident than other drivers. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, teen drivers ages 16 through 19 are almost three times as likely to be in a fatal crash than are drivers ages 20 and older, citing an Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) report. As such, choosing a car with a high safety rating is essential for teen drivers. Below are some good cars for teens and new drivers.
Highly Ranked Used Cars for Teens
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has composed a list of some of the best used cars for teens, acknowledging that some of the highest rated new models on the market aren’t always within parents’ budgets.
For midsize cars, all these made the IIHS’s list of best cars for teen drivers, and are all priced under $20,000.
- Toyota Prius v (2012 model or later)
- Lincoln MKZ (2010 model or later)
- Honda Accord Sedan (2012 model or later)
- Volkswagen Jetta (2009 model or later)
- Ford Fusion (2010 model or later)
If you’re looking for an SUV for your teen, there are a variety of highly ranked, used and affordable SUV models on the market.
- Volvo XC90 (2005 model or later) is a midsized SUV that starts at $7,300.
- For a larger SUV, the 2011 Buick Enclave is a good choice, and starts at $19,900.
New Cars with Top Safety Ratings
If a new car is what you’re looking for, a car that’s on the IIHS’s 2014 Top Safety Picks list can be some of the best cars for new drivers. A few cars that have made the list are below.
- 2015 Kia Soul (small car)
- 2014 Kia Optima (midsize car)
- 2014 Ford Focus (small car)
- 2014 Mazda CX-5 (small SUV)
- 2014 Chevy Malibu (midsize car)
- 2014 Nissan Altima (midsize car)
- 2014 Chevy Spark (minicar)
- 2014 Honda Civic (small car)
- 2014 Honda Accord (midsize car)
The full list of Top Safety Picks is on the IIHS’s website. When choosing a car for your teen, other things that you may want to consider in addition to safety are technological features of the vehicle, comfort, and price.
Contact an Attorney in New York if a Car Accident Occurs
If your teen is in a car accident caused by another driver’s actions, a personal injury attorney can help you recover the benefits to which you and your family are legally entitled. At Gacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C., we will fight to make sure you and your teen recover compensation to help pay for damages. This might include injury-related expenses from PIP coverage, as well as other damages recoverable from an at-fault driver’s liability insurance.
If you’re ready to begin, call us today at 800-550-0000. You can also contact us online to set up your consultation.