Infusion pumps are medical devices that deliver fluids, nutrients and/or medications to patients on a regular, frequent basis. Infusion pumps typically administer their contents intravenously, however they may also operate subcutaneously (beneath the skin), arterially (in the blood vessels around the heart), or epidurally (in the spine). A pain pump is a specific type of infusion pump that delivers pain medications to post-operative patients.
Brand names of popular infusion and pain pumps include:
- ADVANTIS DL Infusion System, by ALARIS Medical Inc.
- Baxter A s40A Syringe Infusion Pump, by Baxter Pharmaceuticals
- Breg Shoulder Pain Pump, by Breg, Inc.
- Colleague Volumetric Triple Channel Infusion Pump, by Baxter Pharmaceuticals
- DonJoy Pain Control Device, by DJO, Inc.
- ON-Q PainBuster, by I-Flow
- Stryker PainPump 2, by Stryker
- Stryker PainPump 2 BlockAid, by Stryker
Problems with Infusion & Pain Pumps
Infusion pumps and pain pumps have been linked to a number of serious complications, including:
- Battery failures, electronic failures and/or software glitches that interrupted the flow of vital nutrients and/or medications
- Postarthroscropic glenohumeral chondrolysis (PAGCL), the deterioration of shoulder cartilage that causes severe pain as bones grind on each other (PAGCL usually requires shoulder replacement surgery, long-term physical therapy and pain medication)
Such severe complications can, in the worst cases, result in permanent disability and/or death. In fact, amassing reports of serious pump injuries led the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to issue three distinct recalls for certain infusion pumps in 2005. Ultimately, a Class I recall was issued for some of these devices. Class I recalls are the most serious level recalls, as they indicate the potential for a defective product to cause serious injury and death.
Infusion & Pain Pump Lawsuits
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured as a result of a defective infusion or pain pump, it’s essential that you:
- Seek emergency medical care to save your life
- Follow through with all long-term prescribed treatments for the best chances of recovery
- Consult with a highly skilled defective device attorney at Gacovino, Lake & Associates to determine if you qualify to seek compensation for your injuries and losses
For more than a decade, the well-respected lawyers at Gacovino, Lake & Associates have been successfully handling personal injury and wrongful death cases. We have extensive experience in handling complicated injury cases involving product defects and malfunctions, and are prepared to take on any new challenges. We serve as tireless advocates for the injured and their families and fight aggressively to ensure our clients recover the maximum amount of compensation available.
To discuss the circumstances in your specific case, contact Gacovino, Lake & Associates today. All initial consultations are free of charge.