Cold and flu season has returned and as many parents know, schools and daycares can be hotbeds for these illnesses. In observance of Child Health Day on October 1, we offer you these tips from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and National Association of School Nurses (NASN) to keep sneezes and sniffles at bay this school year:
- get yourself and your child a flu shot if no allergies to the vaccine are present (ask your doctor if you’re unsure);
- remind your child to cover his or her mouth when coughing or sneezing;
- make sure your child washes his or her hands regularly throughout the day;
- tell your child to keep hands away from the face (mouth, nose); and
- do not allow your child to play with children who are sick.
If your child becomes sick, keep him or her home from school until he or she is feeling better to avoid infecting other children. See a doctor if you are concerned or symptoms are severe.