As if undergoing surgery isn’t stressful enough, patients shouldn’t also have to worry that they’ll be the victim of wrong site surgery. Yet the reality is that this type of medical negligence occurs more often than it should. if it does occur, a New York medical malpractice attorney should be sought for help.
There are 6 ways you may be able to protect yourself from becoming the victim of wrong site surgery:
- Before you’re put under anesthesia, make sure the surgeon has marked the site of your surgical procedure with a marker.
- Ensure your wrist band is checked frequently by staff and that your name and birth date are verified.
- Read through the consent form a few days prior to the surgery, and if you have any questions, ask.
- Trust your instincts when something doesn’t feel right and be sure to mention it to the surgeon or other members of the staff.
- Ask for the surgical team to take a timeout before you’re put under to verify the details of the procedure.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions or feel like you’re bothering the staff by doing so.
You can take charge of your care before you undergo surgery. It could help prevent a serious surgical mistake from happening.
Contacting a New York Medical Malpractice Attorney
At Gacovino Lake & Associates we have formed a dedicated network of medical malpractice attorneys that serve clients nationwide. Our New York office serves residents of the 5 boroughs with their auto accident, medical malpractice, defective drug, premises liability, and Workers’ Compensation claims. For experienced help with your medical malpractice claim, contact us today – 1-800-246-4878.