A birth injury can involve brain injuries, cerebral palsy, and brachial plexus injury. In many cases, these kinds of birth trauma can be avoided. If your child has been the victim of a birth injury because of a medical professional’s negligence, speak with a Suffolk County medical malpractice lawyer.
There are many things expecting parents can do to prevent a birth injury:
- Ensure your Obstetrician is qualified – Do some research before choosing a doctor, and don’t be afraid of being too particular. You should check out websites that provide user’s ratings and educate yourself about a specific physician’s experience and qualifications.
- Prenatal care – Eating well, taking vitamins and regular doctor check-ups will aid in preventing pregnancy complications.
- Record the baby’s movements – By counting kicks and tracking when the infant is active inside the womb, you can help determine if there may be problems. If movements are noticeably absent, consult with your doctor.
- Learn about your Obstetrician’s practices – Use of forceps during delivery and umbilical cord clamping can cause brain injuries, so it’s important to educate yourself about your doctor’s birthing procedures.
- Have a family member present during labor – Family can provide assistance by answering questions and double checking medications given to you, as well as advocating on your behalf during the birthing process.
Contacting a Suffolk County Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Know that you do have recourse if you have suffered a preventable injury while seeking hospital treatment. The law offices of Gacovino Lake & Associates are dedicated to rectifying the wrongs committed against you. Located in New York, we represent medical malpractice cases nationwide. Contact us today at 1-800-246-HURT (4878) to schedule a complimentary consultation.