While the bus is a commonly used form of transportation to get to and from school, it also can be dangerous. This is especially true when students are getting on and off a school bus.
The following are ten safety tips for boarding and leaving a school bus:
- students should always be visible to the driver;
- students should stay on the curb until the door opens;
- if students miss the bus, they should never run after it;
- handrails should be used when getting on or off the bus;
- students should avoid being anywhere near the tires of the bus;
- before crossing in front of the bus, students should make sure the driver gives them a signal it’s safe to do so;
- if students drop something while getting on or off the bus, they should ask for help instead of trying to retrieve it;
- students should be far enough away from the bus that they can’t touch it;
- students shouldn’t walk behind a bus; and
- students should never dart out in front of a bus.
Contacting a New York Personal Injury Attorney
If your child suffered a school bus injury, contact an attorney at Gacovino, Lake & Associates to learn if you have a viable claim. Call us today at 1-800-246-HURT (4878).