Accidents happen every day across the state of New York. These accidents, according to the New York Department of Health, resulting in an average of 12,000 hospitalizations and roughly 1,000 deaths annually.
Victims often experience significant time off of work, which can make it difficult to cover the enormous medical bills that often accompany serious accidents. If you or a loved one is suffering because of the injuries you received in a passenger vehicle accident, you have the right to hold any negligent parties responsible for your losses. A Bohemia passenger vehicle accident lawyer can help.
The team at Gacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C. has worked on many cases like yours before, and we are proud of our results. We have built an entire team of personal injury lawyers and are fully committed to helping our clients pursue compensation to the fullest extent of their injuries.
For a free, no-obligation case review, contact Gacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C. today at (631) 600-0000.
Common Causes of Passenger Vehicle Accidents
There are many circumstances that can lead to a passenger vehicle accident. Some of the common causes include:
- Distracted Driving: Distracted driving includes any type of behavior that causes the driver to take their focus off the road. Some of the common types of distracted driving behaviors, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), include texting and driving, talking on the phone, eating or drinking while behind the wheel, or using a navigation system.
- Speeding: According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), speeding was a factor in 26% of accidents in 2017. What makes speeding particularly dangerous is that it reduces the driver’s ability to avoid an accident while also increasing the likelihood of severe injuries.
- Impaired Driving: 29 people die each day in the U.S. as a result of crashes involving alcohol, according to the CDC. Alcohol is not the only cause of impaired driving, though. New reports by the CDC show more drivers today are driving under the influence of marijuana and other illicit drugs.
- Drowsy Driving: Drowsy driving is not a type of behavior that people often think of when they think dangerous driving behaviors. Yet drowsy driving remains a major problem across the U.S., according to the CDC. Drivers who operate a vehicle while drowsy are less capable of focusing on the road, have a slower reaction time, and are less capable of making good decisions.
Regardless of what factors led to your accident, you have the right to hold any negligent parties responsible for your injuries, and a Bohemia passenger vehicle accident lawyer can help. For a free case review, contact Gacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C. today at (631) 600-0000.
How New York’s Negligence Law Impacts Your Case
New York is a pure comparative fault state. That means that even if you are partially responsible for causing the accident, you can still recover compensation. Your damages would just be reduced by the degree to which you were liable. For example, if you are 30% responsible for causing the accident, you can still recover 70% of the total damages awarded. Because New York is a pure comparative fault state, there is no point at which you would be barred from recovery, regardless of how much at fault you are.
That said, defense lawyers sometimes use comparative fault to reduce their client’s liability for an accident. They may try to claim that you are more responsible for the accident than you really are. These are defense tactics, and, while common, a passenger vehicle accident lawyer can help defend you against strategies like these.
Recoverable Damages After a Passenger Vehicle Accident
There are many types of damages you may recover after a passenger vehicle accident. The damages you may recover are ultimately dependent on the details of your case. For example, if you are severely or even permanently injured, you would likely recover more than if you merely broke your arm. We cannot estimate your damages without first examining the details of your case. However, some common types of damages that victims recover in cases like yours include:
- Ambulance rides
- Doctor’s examinations
- Assistive devices like walkers and wheelchairs
- Physical therapy
- Lost wages
- Future wages
- Loss of earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Property damage
In some cases, the victim does not survive the accident or passes away later because of the severity of their injuries. When this occurs, the family has the right to pursue compensation for the loss of their loved one. Some possible recoverable damages in a wrongful death claim include:
- Pain and suffering of the deceased before they passed
- Wages and benefits previously provided by the deceased
- Medical costs related to the accident and left to the family to pay
- Funeral and burial costs
- Pain and suffering of the family
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of support and protection
Gacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C. Is Here for You
If you are suffering because of a car accident involving a negligent driver, you are not alone. A Bohemia passenger vehicle accident lawyer can help you investigate the accident and gather evidence like eyewitness statements, police reports, and video surveillance. They can even work with an accident scene reconstruction expert to determine the cause of the accident. This evidence is especially useful in cases where liability is not clear, such as if the accident was the result of poor maintenance or a defective part from the manufacturer. A lawyer can calculate the full value of your case and negotiate for a fair settlement to recover your losses.
For a free case evaluation or to have our team get to work right away, contact Gacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C. today at (631) 600-0000.