If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident that occurred on someone else’s property, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses, including medical and rehabilitative bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. However, it can be confusing to know what your rights are and how to proceed.
Fortunately, there is help available through legal advice from a New York slip and fall attorney. Whether you are trying to collect from insurance or bring a lawsuit, the lawyers at Gacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C. in Babylon, NY, can investigate your accident, examine the facts, and determine the options that may be available to you. We know the law, the courts, the judges, and how to deal with insurance companies. We can help keep you from making costly mistakes.
We offer free consultations, so do not delay. Call our team of slip and fall lawyers in Babylon, NY today at (631) 600-0000.
Causes for Slip and Fall Accidents in Babylon, NY
In New York State, slip and fall injuries cause the highest number of hospitalizations among children 0-14 years old and adults over 25. Dangerous conditions that lead to slip and falls can exist in businesses, schools, shopping centers, restaurants, stores, private homes, or public spaces. If the property owner or manager responsible for the property allowed the dangerous situation that caused your accident to exist, you may have a lawsuit against that individual or entity.
Slip and fall accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Uneven levels of sidewalks and floors
- Broken concrete
- Unfixed holes in the ground
- Dangerously sloped ground
- Spills of liquid or chemicals
- Bumps in carpet
- Failure to use slip resistance
- Broken or missing railings
- Inadequate lighting
- Missing steps or damaged stairwells
- Snow or ice on walkways
Proving Negligence for Your Slip and Fall Case
You can file a slip and fall case if you fell on someone else’s property and suffered an injury through no fault of your own. New York has laws that determine when a party is responsible for the injuries that you suffered from a slip and fall accident. There may also be several responsible parties, such as multiple owners and property managers.
Responsible parties have what is known as a duty of care to make sure their property is properly maintained and operated in a reasonably safe manner to prevent injury to others. If the owner or manager knows or should have known that the property is not safe, they must fix the problem quickly. If they fail to do so and you are injured as a result, you may be eligible for compensation for your injuries, losses, and other expenses.
Our team can help demonstrate negligence by showing:
- There was a dangerous condition on the property.
- The liable party knew or should have known about the dangerous condition before your accident.
- There was sufficient time to remedy the dangerous condition prior to your accident, but the party did not do so.
- The party failed to properly fix the defect that led to your accident.
The courts can accept proof of either:
- Actual knowledge – when the property owner admits to knowing of the dangerous condition, or
- Constructive knowledge – when the property owner should have known about the dangerous condition prior to your accident.
Contact Gacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C. for a free consultation about your case by calling (631) 600-0000 today.
How Our Slip and Fall Lawyers Can Help
New York slip and fall law is complicated. Our team of slip and fall lawyers in Babylon, NY can help you understand these laws and ensure your case is filed properly and in a timely matter. We can handle communications with insurance companies and lawyers, file appropriate papers in court, gather evidence and interview witnesses, negotiate toward a fair settlement, and represent you in court, if necessary.
There are several legal hurdles that can affect your right to recover compensation. Our team can handle them for you and protect your right to the recovery you deserve. Relevant laws include:
- Statute of Limitations – the state of New York has a deadline for filing slip and fall lawsuits. Anyone who was injured in a slip and fall on someone elseGacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C.s property must file within three years from the date of the incident that caused the injury. If you miss the deadline, the courts are likely to dismiss your case. We recommend acting quickly to give your lawyer plenty of time to file your lawsuit and collect evidence to build a strong case on your behalf.
- Comparative Negligence – New York has a “pure comparative negligence rule” that determines how much you can recover if you contributed to the accident. The property owner will try to argue that you were at least partially to blame for your slip and fall in order to reduce your settlement. Our team is aware of this approach and can defend you against these arguments to preserve your right to compensation.
Get Help From Our New York Slip and Fall Lawyers
If you or a loved one were injured in a slip and fall accident, you do not have to go through the legal process alone. The slip and fall lawyers at Gacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C. in Babylon, NY, know what you are going through and have the resources to fight for the settlement or judgment you deserve. We can take steps from the beginning to help establish your case, such as inspecting the property, interviewing witnesses, and serving legal notices to preserve evidence.
Contact us today for your free and confidential consultation at (631) 600-0000. You pay nothing unless and until we win for you.