If you were a victim of a Babylon, New York, personal injury accident, you may be able to file an insurance claim or lawsuit against the negligent party who caused your injuries. As the victim of a negligence accident, you may be eligible to seek damages to cover your medical care costs, lost wages, and other losses.
A member of the personal injury team from Gacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C. can meet with you today. We offer free case reviews. Call (631) 600-0000 now to speak to someone who can help you understand your legal options.
New York Negligence Laws and Pursuing Compensation
The personal injury attorneys from Gacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C. handle a variety of negligence injury cases, which may include:
- Various motor vehicle accidents
- Slip and falls
- Trip and falls
- Falls from a height
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products, drugs, or medical devices
- Aviation and boating accidents
- Dog bites, as governed by AGM §123
- Swimming pool accidents
- Other accidents and injuries
In any type of negligence accident case, our team will work to collect evidence that proves negligence and liability. In general, this requires us to prove four things:
- The at-fault party had a duty or obligation to do a certain thing—or not to do it
- They failed to uphold their duty or obligation
- Their failure caused an accident or incident and your injuries
- You sustained documentable physical injuries and financial losses
If we can prove these four things, we can usually pursue a case and hold the at-fault party liable or identify a party who is vicariously liable. Vicarious liability often comes into play when the negligent party was working at the time of the accident and your injuries.
To learn more, contact Gacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C. Our case reviews and consultations are always free for personal injury accident victims.
Gacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C. May Be Able to Seek Compensation Based on the Facts of Your Case
Following your free case review with a member of the Gacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C. team, we may offer to take on your Babylon personal injury case on a contingency basis. You will not have to pay any out-of-pocket attorney fees. We believe you have a compelling case, so we will handle the upfront costs and get reimbursed for our expenses and fees only after we reach a settlement or secure a court award.
As your Babylon personal injury lawyer, you can count on our attorneys to go to work for you. We will gather evidence to support your claim and build a case to secure the payout you deserve based on the facts of your case. To achieve that, we will:
- Obtain a copy of the police report if one was filed
- Gather your relevant medical records and other related documents
- Interview all known eyewitnesses to the accident about what happened
- Identify and gather physical evidence
- Hire accident reconstruction specialists, medical experts, economists, and other experts
- Take steps to document your range of accident-related expenses and losses
With a strong case to back up our claim, a Babylon personal injury attorney from Gacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C. may be able to file an insurance claim based on the settlement value of your case or take your case to trial in a Suffolk County court.
Call (631) 600-0000 to get started today.
Recovering Damages in a Babylon, NY, Personal Injury Case
When a Babylon personal injury lawyer from Gacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C. attempts to reach an out-of-court settlement or takes a lawsuit to court, the goal is to hold the negligent party legally accountable and to recover compensation for our client. When we pursue compensation in your case, how much we attempt to recover depends greatly on the value of the actual damages you sustained.
We will calculate a settlement range based on the documentation we collect to show your accident-related expenses and losses. This settlement range also includes the value we put on your non-economic losses. Recoverable damages in a Babylon personal injury settlement may include:
- Current and future medical treatment
- Any required ongoing care for your injuries
- Current and future lost wages and benefits
- Diminished earning capacity
- Property damages, including your vehicle, personal items, clothing, and more
- Out-of-pocket expenses that occur because of your accident and injuries
- Pain and suffering damages
- Emotional trauma
- Diminished life enjoyment
Our team also pursues wrongful death damages for the immediate family members of those who passed away as a result of a personal injury accident, medical malpractice, or another negligence incident. We may be able to build a Babylon wrongful death case and recover these damages on your family’s behalf.
Statute of Limitations on New York Personal Injury Cases
Every state sets a statute of limitations on personal injury cases. If you are unable to reach a settlement with the insurance company, and you do not file a lawsuit before the deadline arrives in your case, you could possibly lose the right to take your case to trial to pursue compensation. New York law stipulates time limits that include:
- Three years for personal injury cases under CVP §214
- Two years for a wrongful death action under EPT §5-4.1
We can discuss your legal options with you at any time following your accident, but we recommend calling as soon as possible. We can go to work on your case as soon as your injuries stabilize, and we have an idea about your prognosis. We may also be able to call in an expert medical witness to discuss your prognosis if you have any lasting injuries.
Discuss Your Case With a Member of Our Babylon Personal Injury Team Today
If you suffered injuries in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be able to take action to hold them liable and recover compensation. At Gacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C., our team will review your case at no cost to you today. We take on cases in Babylon, elsewhere in Suffolk County, New York, on Long Island, and in the five boroughs of NYC.
You can reach a member of the Gacovino, Lake & Associates, P.C. team today by calling (631) 600-0000. We always offer initial consultations and case evaluations for free, and you will not pay anything upfront if a Babylon personal injury lawyer offers to handle your case.