Although modern safety procedures and equipment have significantly reduced the risk of aviation accidents, when they do occur, they can have devastating effects both for those on the plane, as well as people on the ground. In 2008, the most recent year for which statistics are available, there were 147 airplane accidents that resulted in 876 fatalities (for aircraft that carry more than six people).
More than 51 percent of these airplane crashes occurred during the final approach and landing phase of the flight. However, 47 percent of the deaths that resulted from these accidents occurred during the takeoff and climb.
Legal Help For Airplane Accident Victims
If you or a loved one has survived an aviation accident (or your loved one has died in a plane crash), you will likely have a legal claim and may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and losses. To learn more about your legal rights, we, at Gacovino, Lake & Associates, welcome you to attend a free initial consultation with one of our highly qualified, well-respected accident attorneys.
We are committed to aggressively representing your rights to help you recover maximum settlements/awards. We have recovered millions is compensation for our clients and are prepared to help you and your family get through this difficult time.
Causes of Airplane Crashes
In some cases it will be impossible to determine the exact set of causes that contributed to a plane crash, particularly if the plane disappears and is never found. However, in most cases, airplane accidents will be caused by some combination of:
- Mechanical error (engine failure, landing gear problems, loss of power, loss of fuel, etc.)
- Sabotage and terrorist acts
- The pilot’s or crew’s error (due to negligence, lack of training, operating under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, extreme fatigue, etc.)
- Other human error (including those committed by air traffic controllers, baggage handlers or any other airport employee)
- Harsh weather conditions such as extreme fog, wind or rain
Of these factors, pilot error has been found to cause the most airplane accidents—45 percent of all crashes—in the past decade. The second most common cause of plane crashes is mechanical error (28 percent).
Let Us Help You
If you or a loved one has been involved in a plane crash, chances are you will need a qualified attorney to help you seek and recover compensation for your losses. At Gacovino, Lake & Associates, we provide our clients with free consultations to determine if we can help. During a complimentary consult, our attorneys will:
- Thoroughly evaluate your case
- Determine whether you have a legitimate legal claim
- Advise you on the most appropriate manner in which to proceed with your case, based on your needs and the circumstances of the event
Once you secure our services, we will build you the strongest case possible by:
- Collecting all relevant evidence, including witness statements, reports from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) and other authorities, etc.
- Finding experts, including forensic scientists and aviation engineers, to testify on your behalf and strengthen your case
- Highlighting flaws and weaknesses in the opponent’s arguments
We will not stop working until you win the settlement you deserve. Contact us today to schedule a consultation. We will evaluate the details of your case and fight tirelessly on your behalf.